YouTube revolutionized the world of internet by becoming the largest video hosting site. It has a video on everything. Whether you want see the latest music videos, movie trailer or learn something useful from a tutorial, YouTube has it all. You may wonder the need to alter font size on a website meant to watch videos. But the font really matters. For instance, if the font is too small then you cannot read the video title or its description properly. How will you decide whether the video is worth watching if you do not know what it is about?
Do not worry. There are ways in which you can increase the font size for better readability. In fact, you can also increase the size of the subtitles under a video. This article will show you how to change font size on YouTube.
First, here is some important information on the website itself.
YouTube is a video sharing platform that also serves as a social media platform. Currently owned by Google, YouTube is the second most visited site in the world. More than a billion people visit this site every month. In 2006, the creators of YouTube Steve Chen, Jawed Karim and Chad Hurley sold the site to Google for a whopping $1.65 billion. Every day, about 500 hours of video content is uploaded on YouTube per minute.
Although YouTube makes money from advertising, it has now branched out to original premium content that users can pay to watch. Many YouTubers have made a good living off this platform by posting original content on their respective YouTube channels. The website has also diversified into other platforms like network television and mobile apps. In terms of content, YouTube has something for everyone. They have video clips, broadcast news, live TV, music videos, audio music, feature films, short films, live streams, documentaries and much more.
The comments section on YouTube serves as a proper social media platform. Users can engage in conversations, debates and even share links to other videos or websites. The YouTube comment section is as thriving as the video galleries.
Now before heading towards how to change font size on YouTube, you should know the importance of fonts.
The Importance of Fonts
The font of a text should be big enough to be readable. It should also be versatile in adapting to different devices with different screen sizes. As mentioned earlier, if the font is not big enough you will get frustrated trying to read a video title.
YouTube does not provide nuanced features to customize fonts on your page or channel. You may experiment with font styles on video descriptions but you cannot alter the font of video titles and headings. It is important to allow users to customize their page. This brings out individuality and helps creators in standing out among the crowd. A good font catches the eye and leaves a good impression.
Maybe YouTube will add that feature in the future. For now, learn how to change font size on YouTube in the section below.
Instructions on How to Change Font Size on YouTube
Before you begin to learn how to change font size on YouTube, you should know a fact. The thing is, the YouTube application does not offer any direct method of changing the font size. This leads to problems like small texts which can be difficult to read and understand. But you can use a trick here. By changing the font customization on your device (phone, tablet or PC) you can indirectly change the font size on YouTube as well.
Please follow the instructions given below on how to change font size on YouTube.
Change Font Size on Computer
If you want to know how to change font size on YouTube using your computer, go by these steps –
- Visit the YouTube website on your Windows or Mac computer. You can use any web browser of your preference like Google Chrome or Safari.
- Once the YouTube website loads on your screen, take your mouse cursor and move it over any blank or empty space on the browser.
- Now press and hold the “Control” key (on Windows) or “Command” key (on Mac OS) on your keyboard. With the help of your mouse scroll wheel, scroll upwards.
- The more you scroll up, the bigger the fonts on that page get. Stop when you reach your ideal font size.
- You can also do this with the help of your keyboard alone. Simply, press (Control + “+”) or (Command + “+”) to increase font size and press (Control + “-”) or (Command + “-”) to decrease font size.
- If you wish to reset the font size to default settings, press (Control + 0) or (Command + 0) on your keyboard.
- Another way to do this is by downloading a YouTube extension. This application will help you alter the font size based on your requirement.
Change Font Size on Mobile
In this section, you will learn how to change font size on YouTube from your mobile phone.
Every phone has a feature in its settings that allows users to change the font size for the entire phone. Go to your phone settings and increase or decrease the size of fonts. This will alter the font size for all text on phone including YouTube. Now you can read text on YouTube in your preferred font size.
Change Font Size of Comments
If you are wondering how to change font size on YouTube for comments, these instructions will help you. You can customize the text on YouTube comments to quite a degree. There are even options for you to add font styles like Bold, Strikethrough and Italics. In this section, you will learn how to increase the font size in comments.
- Open the YouTube app on your phone. If you are using a computer, visit the YouTube website on your web browser.
- To be able to make comments on YouTube, you need to sign in. So log into your YouTube account. This step is absolutely necessary.
- Now open a new tab. There, you need to visit a third-party website that will allow you to increase the font size. Some good options for this are Bold Text Generator and fsymbols.com.
- On this third-party website, scan through the various font options available. Select the font style of your liking. Choose a font of larger size.
- After selecting the font, go to the text editor and click on the box. Now type the comment you want to post on YouTube or copy-paste the comment from YouTube (that you might have written in YouTube’s comment box).
- Your text will appear in the selected font automatically.
- Now you can copy the text from the third-party website and paste it under YouTube’s comment box.
- Post the comment. The text will appear in a larger font in the comments section.
Change Font Size of Subtitles
Do you want to know how to change font size on YouTube subtitles? Follow these steps to get started –
- Visit the YouTube website on your desktop web browser.
- Click on a video to play it.
- If you notice that the subtitles of the video are of a small font, you can increase the size.
- To do this, first click on the “Settings” option (the gear icon) at the bottom of the video screen. In the “Settings” menu, click on the “Subtitles” option. At the top right corner of the “Subtitles” box, you will find “Options”. Click on it.
- If you wish to revert to YouTubes’s default font settings, find the reset button at the bottom of the “Options” box and click on it. Now the font will return to its default state. In the default state, the font size is 100 and the background opacity is 75, just FYI.
- You will see many other customizable options in the “Options” box. You can change the font style, the background opacity and of course, the font size.
- Click on font size and a box will appear giving you size options – 50%%, 75%, 100% 150%, 200%, 300% and 400%. Choose the font size that suits you. To help you decide, remember that the default subtitle you see is at 100%.
- Click on the font size you prefer and the subtitles will instantly change to that size.
- You can now read the subtitles comfortably.
Hope you have learned how to change font size on YouTube. There are limitations to how you can alter fonts for the entire user interface. But as you have seen in this article, there are tweaks and tricks to make it happen. YouTube constantly brings new updates to its website. It has done remarkably well in allowing users to customize their profile page, channel interface, video libraries and video suggestions. Perhaps soon they will take it up a notch and offer changes to font and other details. For now, this guide should serve you well.