How to Change Font in CS Go – A Complete Guide
CS Go is one of the world’s most popular video games. It has millions of fans globally who log on to Steam to enjoy this action game. While the developers keep releasing many patches and modifications to update the game, there is something you can do to customize the game for yourself. You can change the font that appears in the game.
Keep reading to learn how to change font in CS Go. Before beginning, you should know some important facts about the game CS Go.
What is CS Go?
CS Go stands for Counter-Strike: Global Offensive. It is an online multiplayer FPS (first-person shooter) game created by Valve and Hidden Path Entertainment. CS Go was released in the year 2012 and is the fourth game in the Counter-Strike video game series. The game is playable on multiple platforms like Windows, Mac OS, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Linux. Although the game was released back in 2012, the developers Valve continues to update the game regularly. These updates range from big content additions to smaller fixing and balancing patches.
About the Gameplay
Similar to other games in the Counter-Strike series, CS Go is an objective-driven game. In the game’s main narrative, players are divided into 2 teams – the Terrorists and the Counter-Terrorists. The 2 teams compete with each other in completing objectives, like rescuing or capturing hostages and planting or diffusing a bomb. Players are rewarded at the end of each short round with in-game currency, which can be used on weapons and utility in the subsequent rounds. To decide the amount of reward, the game mechanics takes team as well as individual performance into consideration.
Real Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Tournaments
The Global Offensive series of Counter-Strike is among the most popular e-sports in the world. Third-party organizations are known to organize many tournaments and leagues for professional CS Go gamers. Even the parent company Valve sponsors big tournaments, known as Major Championships.
These events are quite lucrative. The Counter-Strike scene attracts one of the largest prize pools in the world. The prize money for Major Championships in Counter-Strike can range anywhere from $250,000 to $1 million (since the MLG Columbus 2016 event). Team Astralis has won the most numbers of Major Championships in the history of Global Offensive (tallying up to 4 wins).
Legacy of Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
On its release, the game garnered overwhelmingly positive reviews from game critics, according to Metacritic (a review aggregator). Critics praised the game for being faithful to previous games in the series like Counter-Strike: Source. The game managed to retain the best features of the previous games while adding much more content and tweaking some game mechanics. CS Go outclassed and outsold its competitors on its release. The game’s popularity won it the fan’s choice award for “eSports Game of the Year” in 2015 at The Game Awards.
It is worth noting that the gaming experience varies from platform to platform. Critics and players agree that CS Go is most satisfying on a PC (Windows, Mac OS or Linux). This is because the use of keyboard and mouse is better suited for quick gameplay in First-person shooters.
Now that you know about the game, it is time to learn how to change font in CS go.
How to Change Font in CS Go?
There are a couple of ways to change font in Counter-Strike: Global Offensive. Read below to find out how to change font in CS Go.
Method 1 – For Beginners
This method is easy to grasp and apply. Many users who are unfamiliar with Counter-Strike: Global Offensive can use this to change the font in their game. Follow the steps mentioned below on how to change font in CS Go–
- Look for a Custom Font that suits your needs. One of the places to get good custom fonts online is http://fonts.spddl.de. Older CS GO users are familiar with this website and have been using it for years. The website offers more than 160 unique fonts to choose from.
- Download the font of your liking. On the website, simply click on the font file to download it.
- Now to install the font, head over to the folder called “flash”. If you are confused about its location, use this address to look for it on your computer – SteamsteamappscommonCounter-Strike Global OffensiveCS go esourcelash
- Once you reach the location, open the “flash” folder by double-clicking on it. Inside, you will find a file named “fontmapping.cfg”. This is the file which informs the CS GO game about which font it should use in the game.
- Before you proceed to changing the font, it is advisable to make a backup for “fontmapping.cfg”. In future, if you wish to return to default font settings, the backup will allow you to do so. If you do not create a backup, the original font will be lost and you will have to do some research online to get the font back.
- After creating the backup, unzip the newly downloaded font file and extract the font.
- The unzipped font folder will most likely contain 2 files. The files are – “fontlib_spddl” (the new CS GO font) and “fontmapping.cfg” (the new configuration file which will prompt CS GO to use the new font in the game).
- Lastly, drag and drop or copy-paste these 2 files into the “flash” folder (mentioned in Point No. 3 and 4).
- That is it! Enjoy your new font while playing Counter-Strike: Global Offensive.
Method 2 – For Experienced Players
If you are familiar with making changes to the CS Go game, then this method will work for you. Simply, follow the steps mentioned below on how to change font in CS Go –
- Find and download a new font online. Visit sites like http://fonts.spddl.de and select your preferred font among their collection of unique fonts.
- The new font file will be downloaded as a zip file. Unzip it first.
- Now install the new unzipped font file in this location on your computer – “SteamsteamappscommonCounter-Strike Global OffensiveCS go esourcelash”
- When you install the new font in this location, a message window will pop up. It will ask you if you want to paste and replace similar files in the “flash” folder. These similar files are the original font and configuration files. Click on “Yes”. Do not forget to make a backup for the original font configuration file before you do this.
- That is all. Your new font is incorporated into the CS Go game mechanics.
Important Note: Do not worry about getting banned (or flagged) from the CS Go community for changing the font. The font file is not an executable file and therefore will not be detected by VAC (Valve Anti-cheat) as a cheat code.
Method 3 – Using Font Manager Application
The Font Manager Software is a tool designed to change fonts and switch between different custom fonts for Counter-Strike: Global Offensive. According to its website, it is completely safe to use. Even CS Go’s VAC (Valve Anti-Cheat) does not recognize it as a cheat code, allowing you to continue playing the game.
The Font Manager has many useful features. Some of these are – Drag and Drop for adding fonts, simple management of fonts, easy addition of any system font, font removal with one click and more.
To use this software to learn how to change font in CS Go, follow the instructions written below (for Windows operating system) –
- When you double-click the Font Manager application to open it, the main window will appear. Here, you can see your current Font Library. Fonts from this list can be applied to the CS Go game.
- Click on a font to select it. As soon as you select a font, the button “Apply Selected Font” will appear. On pressing this button, Font Manager will alter your font in the CS Go game to the selected font.
- If you wish to add a new font, download it first online. Then, on the Font Manager main window, look for the green “+” button. Click on it. This will open the “Add Font” window. It looks similar to the main window. However, in the “Add Font” window you can look for and select fonts which are already installed on your computer. Look for the new (unzipped) font file, select it and click on the “Add Selected Font” button at the bottom of the window.
- Or, open the folder containing the new font file. Then, simply drag and drop the font file straight to the font list on the main Font Manager window.
- If you wish to remove a font from the Font Manager list, then click on the font you want to delete on the main window. A red “x” button will appear next to it. Click on that button to remove that font from the font library. Remember, this will only remove the font from the Font Manager library. The deleted font will remain on the computer hard drive. To permanently remove it, you will have to locate the font manually and send it to the Recycle Bin.
- At the bottom of the main window, you have three options for further exploration. These include – software version information, a link to restore saved paths to CS Go local files and a web link to view additional information regarding Font Manager.
- There is also a button for donation if you want to contribute to the software developers.
Hope this article helped you understand how to change font in CS Go. You can enjoy this game while reading the text in your favorite font style.