Android offers the most customizable smartphone experience in the market. No other mobile operating system can boast of as many tweaks and UI customization as android. Font style is just one of the many aspects of your smartphone that you can modify and play with if you are an android user. Android forks vary to some degree, but the ability to tweak and change is built into the foundation of the Android operating system. Huawei’s EMUI is such an android derived mobile operating system that is in many ways different from all other Androids, like Oppo’s ColorOS or Xiaomi’s MIUI. Outside mainland China, Google certified EMUI as an Android distribution until 2020. Since then Google has removed Play Store and other Google Google facilities from Huawei smartphones. This can sometimes make it seem to be more difficult to operate phones with EMUI since Google’s android services are so widespread. In reality, EMUI is as customizable as other Android distributions and has some exclusive features which other distributions do not have.
How to change Huawei font style?
There are two common ways of changing font styles in android phones. One is to access your smartphone’s settings and search for an option to change the font style. The settings menu on most android devices is identical, but some may have minor differences. The other option is to modify your phone’s font styles by using a third-party app from an app store. Apps like iFont, Fontfix, and Fontster can give a smooth and intuitive customization experience. Both these approaches would work fine if your Huawei (or Honor) phone runs Google certified android. You can change Huawei font style in the following ways.
Through system settings
- Find and open your device’s Settings
- Click on Display
- Now you will see a window with two options – Font Style and Font Size.
- From this menu, you can change your font size and font style. The font styles offered here would be limited to those that come preinstalled with your device.
You can also use third-party apps to change your system font style and size. There are many such apps available in the play store. For Huawei phones, an app called Font Manager for Huawei is available in the Google Play Store. You can download it from there and install it on your phone. This app has a number of font styles, sizes, and other features to choose from.
Another way to customize your phone’s appearance is to use a third-party launcher. These launchers will not only allow you to change your phone’s font styles but also offer a lot of other tools. You can change the way your icon pack, home screen, widgets, etc. look. Most of these launchers come with a premium membership option, which provides even more customizability. Some of the most popular launchers on the Google Play Store are Apex launcher, Nova Launcher, Niagra Launcher. You can try out several of them to find out which has the best appeal to your taste.
If you choose to install Nova launcher on your phone, the following steps will show you how to change Huawei font style.
- Swipe on your home screen to open the Nova launcher app drawer.
- Click on the Nova Settings icon to open the launcher’s settings.
- Here you will get separate options for changing the font of your home screen apps, app drawer apps, folders. You can choose from the list of options Nova launcher provides as your system font.
The steps for most of these app launchers are similar. All you need to do is find the launcher’s settings, and look for menus where you can change the home screen, app drawer, and folder styles. Changing fonts through launchers usually does not need any reboot or restart to be applied.
How to change Huawei font style when the option is missing from settings
In many Huawei phones, the option to change your font style has been removed, disabled, or hidden. If your version of EMUI happens to have the option missing, the following steps to change Huawei font style would be useful. This method is more complex than installing a third-party app and involves more steps. If you do not wish to install or do not have access to third-party apps, you can try out this method. You will need a PC with internet, a USB cable and your smartphone.
- Install ADB and Fastboot on your PC. You can download and install them for free since they are part of the Android software development kit’s platform tools collection. These tools allow you to access your Android system while your phone is connected to a PC via USB. Once you have both of these tools installed in your system, proceed to the next step.
- Go to Settings and find the Developer Options menu. If Developer Options is missing from your Settings, tap on your phone’s build number several times, and you will see a message saying Developer Options have been turned on.
- Open Developer Options and turn on the USB Debugging option.
- Connect your smartphone with your PC with a USB cable.
- Locate the folder where you installed ADB on your PC. Hold the Shift key and right-click on an empty space. Then select ‘Open command window here’.
- Type ‘adb devices’ in the command prompt. You should see your Huawei device listed here. If you do not see your device, that means the drivers were not properly installed. Uninstall and reinstall your drivers and try again.
- If your device is listed, proceed to type the following command in the command prompt
adb shell settings put system hw_hide_font_style false
- Type ‘adb reboot’ in the command prompt to reboot your device.
Now go back to your phone’s settings. You will see the change font style option enabled. This way you do not have to install any third-party app and still change your Huawei font style.
If your Huawei smartphone uses Android oreo, nougat, or pie-based EMUI 8.0 or 5.x ROM, the following guide will show you how to change Huawei font style in your device. These steps use an app called Tweaker for Huawei, which is available in the Play Store. This app can help you install any font you download or buy from the internet on your Huawei device. You do not need to restrict yourself to just changing fonts. With Tweaker for Huawei, you can change and even add new emojis. This is not surprising, considering the customizability of Android. EMUI also happens to be one of the most customizable android distributions.
- The first step is to install the Tweaker for Huawei app on your smartphone. You can install it directly from the Google Play Store. If you cannot do not want to access Google Play Store, you can download the .apk file of the app from some other app store.
- Once installed, open the Tweaker for Huawei app. Click on Enable Font Change and toggle Off. Then press Apply.
- Change the extension of the font pack you downloaded from .zip to .hwt without extracting the file.
- For EMUI 5.1 or below, the next step involves transferring the font file to Internal Storage>Huawei themes. If you have EMUI 8.0 or higher, transfer the font file to Internal Storage>HWtheme folder.
- For the next step, open the Themes app on your Huawei phone, and go to the Me option at the top right.
- Tap on the Customize option. Then select the font option. You should see the fonts and emojis you downloaded to your device in this window. Select the font you want and click on Apply.
These simple steps will let you change your Huawei font styles in no time.
Another way to change fonts for Huawei devices running on EMUI 8.0, 9.0, and 9.1 is to use the Huawei Editor and iFont app. We have mentioned the iFont app previously. It works like a charm for Huawei devices with EMUI 8.0 and higher. The entire process is intuitive and easy, with an unparalleled range of customization options. Try this out if you have a Huawei phone with EMUI 8.0 or higher and you won’t be disappointed.
- Start off by downloading the Huawei Editor app and iFont app on your phone and install them. These two apps are essential to this method.
- After installing them, open the iFOnt app from the app drawer. Go to the section labeled My and click on Settings.
- In this settings menu, you will find an option saying Change Font Mode. Click on it and change the mode to Huawei Mode (for Huawei).
- Now you have to select a font style for your device. After selecting the font, click on the Download button at the bottom of the menu. After downloading, click on Set, and the font will be installed on your device. The downloaded font will appear on your device’s Themes app.
- After these steps are done, go to the Huawei Editor app and click on Pick a theme option. Select the downloaded font from here and click on Start.
- Then click on the option to overwrite the theme, without selecting any other option. Then click the Finish button.
- Next, go to the Themes app that comes preinstalled with Huawei devices.
- In the themes app, you will find that your font has been edited. Select your font, click on Apply, and your font will be applied to your Huawei smartphone.
Huawei’s latest smartphones use EMUI 9.1 and EMUI 10, and there are upgrades planned for the near future. If you happen to own a recent Huawei smartphone, like the Huawei p20 pro, you will notice that the user interface and functionalities have changed from that of older Huawei phones.
Changing Huawei p20 pro’s fonts will depend on your android version and phone’s age. Google has added more customizability to newer android versions. For the following method, you need to have an android version very recent, or a software overlay that can perform the functions.
- Find the Parameters menu in your Huawei p20 pro.
- Find and click on the tab Display and SIgnage
- Click on Font size and style, and you will access the font change menu
- Click on Police, and will have the option of either choosing from pre-installed fonts, or download free or paid font styles
- From this same menu, you can change the font size as well
In case your android version is not very recent, you can use an alternate approach to change Huawei font style. This method involves downloading the Go Launcher app from the Play Store or any other app market.
Simply download and install the Go launcher app on your phone. Open the launcher settings, and you will find the menu to change font style, icon style, font size, etc. This method is very straightforward and simple, suitable for even inexperienced users. The drawback to this method is that not all windows and menus of your phone are editable in Go Launcher. The system default settings would always retain some fonts.
Rooting your phone
Rooting your phone should be the last option to try when you are thinking about how to change Huawei font style. Rooting a phone is extremely risky, and you could brick your phone in the process. A bricked phone is very difficult to recover, and often you would simply have to discard the phone. Rooting also nullifies your phone’s warranty claims. If you are thinking of rooting your phone, it is recommended to proceed with caution and care.
A rooted phone will give much more access to the user. They can change even the tiniest details of how their phone would look and operate. An amazing app for rooted Huawei smartphones is called HiFont. The app works pretty much as the Go launcher would in a non-rooted phone, but it is not a launcher. It also gives access to all menus and windows of your phone. You can customize the complete look of your phone with this app.